Building Requirements

There are various documents required for each Building Type:

  1. Bungalow and One-storey building: Simple requirements here include: Evidence of Land Ownership, Survey plan (or Affidavit), Site / Location plan, Building / Architectural plan.
  2. Two-storey building and above: Evidence of Land Ownership, Survey plan (or Affidavit), Site / Location plan, Building / Architectural plan, Site analysis report, Structural plan, Engineer’s Letter of Undertaking, Engineer’s Practicing License duly signed and the Agreement between Developer and Engineer.
  3. Additional requirements for construction of buildings with three floors and above include: (a) Confirmation result from a Material Testing Laboratory that the area can withstand the pressure from such a high rise building. (b) A detailed undertaken by a qualified Engineer stating that he has visited the site and that such a building can be safely sited in that location, that he will be supervising the building project to completion and that if the building should fail tomorrow he stands to be held accountable. The engineer will now attach his recent passport photograph and also submit copies of his COREN registration, current annual practicing license and valid Identity card.
Apply Now

Steps to obtaining a Building Permit

  1. Register with your ANSSID number on the Anambra State Physical Planning Board portal by clicking on this link:
  2. Click New Application
  3. Select the Local Planning Authority where your building project is located
  4. Select the Type of Building you intend to construct
  5. Fill out other details of the Building to be constructed
  6. Indicate services available on the site of the building
  7. Write the Estimated Cost of the Development
  8. Upload all necessary documents
  9. Submit application
  10. The application would be reviewed and if accepted an invoice is sent to your registered email address
  11. From your email or the portal click invoice and make the required payment
  12. Proceed to the Local Planning Authority to collect your Receipt of payment and subsequently you go back to collect your duly signed Building Permit Letter.

Contraventions and Penalties

There are Three types of Contravention notices:

1. Stop work notice;

2. Contravention notice; and

3. Removal/Demolition notice.

If a Developer builds a house without a permit but is abiding by all the provisions of building regulation act including adequate setback for the house, adequate car park space, less than maximum building coverage, etc., the developer would be served a STOP WORK notice and requested to pay a FINE in addition to the normal fee for building permit application. The developer has only 7 to 14 days interval to do this and then continue with the building development.

At the expiration of this grace period, the Developer will be served with the second notice: REMOVAL/DEMOLITION NOTICE, requesting him to remove the Building and return the land to its original state. A period of 21days is given for this.

At the expiration of this period, the Board will now mobilize to carry out the demolition on their own, prosecute the developer in a Law Court and bill the developer for the cost of the demolition.

On the other hand, if a Developer is issued with a Building permit and goes out of his way to build something different from what was approved, the developer will be served with CONTRAVENTION NOTICE as the first notice with a grace period of 7 – 14 days to revert back to building according to the approved Building plan. If the developer fails to comply, the developer would be served with the second notice: REMOVAL/DEMOLITION NOTICE. The developer has a period of 21 days to return the land to its original state before commencement of the building project. If the developer remains adamant, the Board will move in and demolish the structure, prosecute the developer in a law court and bill the developer for the cost of the demolition exercise.

Building Supervision

Building under construction within Anambra State, with the exception of high rise buildings (over 3 floors) shall be supervised and certified at the specified stages by a duly Registered Builder on the appropriate Board form.

ALL the professionals involved in the supervising and inspection of the building under construction will be held accountable for any unexpected building failure in the future as stated in the building regulation.

Any building under construction within Anambra State, with the exception of a residential bungalow, shall be certified at the specified stage by a duly Registered Engineer on the appropriate Board form.

It shall be the responsibility of the developer to ensure that the building is certified at every specified stage of construction by a Civil / Structural Engineer registered to practice in Nigeria; namely:

a. at foundation stage;

b. before concrete is poured at various deck levels and

c. at any other appropriate stage specified by the Board/ Authority in its work progress chart. The Civil/Structural Engineer shall issue a certificate Structural Stability of the building to the developer and the Certificate as issued shall be duly stamped with the particulars and registration number of the Engineer and the same shall be filed with the Board/Authority and also be produced at site on demand. The supervision by the Engineer referred to above is without prejudice to the inspection of the building under construction at any stage and at any time by authorized officers of the Anambra State Physical Planning Board/the relevant Local Planning Authority.

General Notices

  1. You must notify the Board in writing of your intention to commence building operations, at least, seven (7) days before commencement of construction work.
  2. Keep a copy of the approved building plan at the site while the building construction is going on.
  3. Endeavor to print boldly on your site wall, your approved building plan number(s).
  4. You are required to ensure you submitted while applying the name of the COREN Registered Engineer or CORBON Registered Builder handling your project.
  5. You must get adequate insurance to cover those particular areas of the building construction that could lead to defects caused by poor professional handling and use of substandard materials in any of the building stages.
  6. You must make sure you obtain a certificate of building completion and fitness for habitation from the board before taking occupation of the building.
  7. You must ensure that 15% of space within your plot is left unpaved for easy rainwater percolation, grassing and tree planting. A minimum of three (3) trees should be planted on your plot.

8. Endeavor to control rainwater from your buildings in order to check flooding and erosion of our soils/roads by concerted provision of rain water harvesting methods or cesspits within your plot holdings.

9. Please note that the following agencies will be coming for inspections at your building construction site from time to time.

They include: Engineers, Town planners and Environmental health teams. Kindly ensure maximum corporation with them.

Here are the things they are expected to do when they come to your site:

(A) Engineers will be coming to inspect building construction stages in conformity with the approval given to you, he/she then gives his/her report then to determine the next action.

(B) Town planners: Ride on initial report of the site to be developed base on the survey plan presented for the site approved or not. He recommends if the plan is okay for approval.

(C) Environmental health team: Examines the septic tanks and soak away and ensures its position in the site as said.

Failure to comply with the above instructions shall attract a penalty of ₦ 50,000.00 in the case of residential building and ₦ 100,000.00 for commercial/industrial buildings.